msi install

Mar 31, 2008 at 9:26 PM
Hi,

Thanks for putting together this add-in for Word. I tried to install the msi but for some reason, the Word2MediaWiki toolbar doesn't showup in Word 2003. Any ideas why?

Thanks!
Coordinator
Mar 31, 2008 at 11:23 PM

cwan wrote:

Thanks for putting together this add-in for Word. I tried to install the msi but for some reason, the Word2MediaWiki toolbar doesn't showup in Word 2003. Any ideas why?

Thanks for writing in! I saw a few issues just on my own laptop during development, and it's unfortunate that I apparently haven't defeated them all yet. :(

Could you please check some settings for me, to help us narrow down where it might be failing:
  1. In Word, choose the Tools menu, then "Templates and Add-ins" - under "Global templates and add-ins", do you have an entry for "Word2MediaWikiDotNetTemplate.dot"? Is its checkbox checked? (On mine it is.)
  2. In Word, choose the Tools menu, then Options; on the Security tab, click the "Macro Security..." button
#* on the Security Level tab, which radio button is selected? (On mine it's "Medium".)
#* on the Trusted Publishers tab, is the checkbox labelled "Trust all installed add-ins and templates" checked? (On mine it is.)
  1. In Regedit.EXE, browse to HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins
    1. Does that contain a folder (aka Key) named Word2MediaWikiDotNet?
    2. If so, what are the values for the settings labelled "LoadBehavior" and "Manifest"?
    3. (On mine, LoadBehavior = 3 and Manifest = C:\personal\VS Projects\Word2MediaWikiDotNet\Word2MediaWikiDotNet\bin\Debug\Word2MediaWikiDotNet.dll.manifest - which is hopefully not where yours would point)

I'll do some more research and post further questions/ideas, but if you get a chance to respond before then, I'll also follow up on whatever you find out.
Coordinator
Apr 1, 2008 at 4:37 PM
Wow, what I didn't know about installing Office add-ins was A LOT. I came upon this little article this morning that explained a whole bunch of things I hadn't done here:
Deploying Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Solutions Using Windows Installer (Part 1 of 2)

Things I missed included:
  • Requiring the use of the Setup.exe, so that the prerequisites could be confirmed, and if not present, could be installed automatically
  • Customizing the Setup.exe to include references to the Office 2003 Primary Interop Assemblies (which weren't included in the default Visual Studio, but were distributed as a sample with the above article)
  • Granting "full trust" to the add-in assembly via the Setup.exe

I believe I also have to sort out which one of the Visual Studio Tools for Office runtimes are necessary (there are at least three versions), and make sure that it's still possible to download the correct one from Microsoft's site. (Otherwise, I may have to provide it as a manual download from the Codeplex project page.)

So it looks like I was a little premature in releasing the Beta - while the Add-in has been coded reasonably well, all the necessary pieces that allow it to run aren't available on anyone's system other than my own.

My apologies. I'll work on this and re-release an update shortly.
Apr 2, 2008 at 8:36 PM
Edited Apr 2, 2008 at 8:36 PM
Thanks for getting back to me - for some reason I didn't get a notification from CodePlex that you had responded.

Anyway, that would be great if you can look into it - and if you need help with anything let me know as well. I'll see what I can do.

For your initial message:
- I couldn't find Wrod2MediaWikiDotNetTemplate.dot" under Global templates and add-ins
- my macro security is currently set to 'high'
- trust all installed add-ins and templates is checked
- there is a key 'word2mediawiki+' in the word addins registry (load behavior: 2; manifest: c:\program files\paranoidmike\Word2MediaWikDotNET\Word2MediaWiki+.dll.manifest) - i notice a potential typo in the file path, the 'i' is missing (Word2MediaWikiDotNET)

Hope this helps ...
Coordinator
Apr 5, 2008 at 11:14 PM

cwan wrote:
Thanks for getting back to me - for some reason I didn't get a notification from CodePlex that you had responded.

Neither did I get an email notification, so it was dumb luck that I decided to check here. Sorry for appearing aloof...

Anyway, that would be great if you can look into it - and if you need help with anything let me know as well. I'll see what I can do.

I don't know what other kind of help to ask for at this point (all of my development work to date has been solo, off-hours effort, so I don't really know what kind of things people normally ask for), but I can tell you that your conscientious feedback so far has been extremely helpful, and much appreciated. (Hmm, do you know anything about writing unit tests for Visual Studio?)

- I couldn't find Wrod2MediaWikiDotNetTemplate.dot" under Global templates and add-ins
- my macro security is currently set to 'high'
- trust all installed add-ins and templates is checked
- there is a key 'word2mediawiki++' in the word addins registry (load behavior: 2; manifest: c:\program files\paranoidmike\Word2MediaWikDotNET\Word2MediaWiki++.dll.manifest) - i notice a potential typo in the file path, the 'i' is missing (Word2MediaWikiDotNET)

Awesome response!
- That is very helpful - I'll keep a close eye on that once I've got the Setup project actually working.
- I'll be very curious whether this macro security setting has any effect on the add-in...
- cool, that's encouraging (one less thing to worry about)
- thank you!! I've filed a bug to myself to dig into this - I suspect I had to hand-type the Registry entry, and it looks like I haven't looked at it since before the "++" to .NET rename.

I've been researching and reviewing this week all of the Deployment steps needed to make VSTO add-ins work, and I've been pounding away all day on the steps to make this installer work. I should have a working installer sometime today or tomorrow.
Apr 21, 2008 at 4:04 PM
lol ... i received the codeplex notifications that you replied to the thread on april 1st on april 14th =p
Jun 25, 2008 at 2:40 PM

MikeSL wrote:

cwan wrote:

Thanks for writing in! I saw a few issues just on my own laptop during development, and it's unfortunate that I apparently haven't defeated them all yet. :(

Could you please check some settings for me, to help us narrow down where it might be failing:
  1. In Word, choose the Tools menu, then "Templates and Add-ins" - under "Global templates and add-ins", do you have an entry for "Word2MediaWikiDotNetTemplate.dot"? Is its checkbox checked? (On mine it is.)
  2. In Word, choose the Tools menu, then Options; on the Security tab, click the "Macro Security..." button
#* on the Security Level tab, which radio button is selected? (On mine it's "Medium".)
#* on the Trusted Publishers tab, is the checkbox labelled "Trust all installed add-ins and templates" checked? (On mine it is.)
  1. In Regedit.EXE, browse to HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins
    1. Does that contain a folder (aka Key) named Word2MediaWikiDotNet?
    2. If so, what are the values for the settings labelled "LoadBehavior" and "Manifest"?
    3. (On mine, LoadBehavior = 3 and Manifest = C:\personal\VS Projects\Word2MediaWikiDotNet\Word2MediaWikiDotNet\bin\Debug\Word2MediaWikiDotNet.dll.manifest - which is hopefully not where yours would point)

I'll do some more research and post further questions/ideas, but if you get a chance to respond before then, I'll also follow up on whatever you find out.

Hi,

I had installed this. And all the points above are in sync on my PC too.
( Except the path : on mine it is  d:\Word2MediaWikiDotNet\\

However, on clicking the toolbar items, nothing happens .
Be it Configure, Convert to Wiki or Upload !

Can you pls. suggest , where could it be wrong ?

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:44 PM
MikeSL wrote:
Wow, what I didn't know about installing Office add-ins was A LOT. I came upon this little article this morning that explained a whole bunch of things I hadn't done here:Deploying Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Solutions Using Windows Installer (Part 1 of 2)Things I missed included:Requiring the use of the Setup.exe, so that the prerequisites could be confirmed, and if not present, could be installed automaticallyCustomizing the Setup.exe to include references to the Office 2003 Primary Interop Assemblies (which weren't included in the default Visual Studio, but were distributed as a sample with the above article)Granting "full trust" to the add-in assembly via the Setup.exeI believe I also have to sort out which one of the Visual Studio Tools for Office runtimes are necessary (there are at least three versions), and make sure that it's still possible to download the correct one from Microsoft's site. (Otherwise, I may have to provide it as a manual download from the Codeplex project page.)So it looks like I was a little premature in releasing the Beta - while the Add-in has been coded reasonably well, all the necessary pieces that allow it to run aren't available on anyone's system other than my own.My apologies. I'll work on this and re-release an update shortly.
Hey mike can you upload the Visual Studio Tools for Office runtimes 2005 so that i can download it from here .
And can you help me in Granting full tryst to the addin i am not been able to do that, My addin get installed and doesnt load .